Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Getting ready for publication

My newest work, Turbulence--the third book in my Echoes Series--is nearly ready to send to the publisher. I've tightened up my story lines, excised superfluous verbiage (or deleted unnecessary words), and double-checked my grammar. Last week I printed out the manuscript. Last night--yes, while my son was in surgery--I started my "final" read-through.

My son came through the surgery well. By the time we were able to see him, he was partially awake and responding.

My manuscript isn't fairing quite so well. On every page so far I've found at least one necessary change. Sometimes more.

My worst errors were made through carelessness. In one place I wrote "(character's name) said." The problem is, this character had not yet given his name. I wasn't paying attention.

Most of my corrections are small. Reworking phrases to make them smoother. Rearranging sentences and, occasionally, paragraphs. Checking my grammar.

The thing with manuscripts is, they're never done. I thought I was finished a week ago. Now I know how much work I still have to do.

But it's late. I'll get started bright and early tomorrow, insha Allah.

No comments: