Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Islam and the American Experience

I have another book I would like to recommend. I'm only on page 64, and not likely to finish before I need to return it to the library, but I've read enough to be interested.

The book is American Islam: The Struggle for the Soul of a Religion. Written by Paul M. Barrett, a Wall Street Journal reporter, American Islam portrays the struggles and victories of individual Muslims. Barrett has included Muslims from many different walks of life, and different ethnicities. The book is well-written and sympathetic to the difficulties faced, particularly after 9/11.

I won't be able to finish this book. But it's not because of the quality. I'm very busy these days with packing and simply don't have much time to read. After I'm settled, I plan to check out American Islam from the local library, or maybe even buy it. And when I have time I am looking forward to reading Barrett's report to the last page.

No comments: