Tuesday, January 08, 2008

What Do You Think About. . .

For the next few posts, I plan to ask you, the reader, what you think about decisions writers make.

My first question is: What do you think about the death of a favorite character?

This has been a topic of discussion on a couple of my writers' groups. Among the writers I know, there are different opinions. Some fear they will lose readers by killing a main or a favorite character. Others contend that death is part of life and our work should reflect that.

Imagine that you're reading a book and everything is going well. You like the style and you can identify, especially, with one of the characters. Now imagine that character dying--maybe from an illness or from an accident. How do you feel? Will you keep reading? Will you read the next book that writer produces or will you turn to more pleasant stories?

Some of my characters have died throughout Echoes Series books. The first death, in Echoes, was very hard to me to write and I actually mourned that character for sometime afterward.

I have been considering killing off a well-loved character. I've planned his/her (I won't give it away) death a few times but the story becomes bogged down. Maybe he/she shouldn't die.

What do you think about that?

2 comments:

Optimize It.Designs said...

I think this is a great idea Sis Jamilah. After reading your comments (from both sides)about the death of a main character, I think an occasional death is realistic but I wouldn't like it if the number one main character died. Especially Joshua! Especially since you get so attached to him after reading through the series.

Jamilah Kolocotronis said...

I don't want to give anything away. but I can promise you that I'll never kill Joshua. He's practically a member of my family.