Monday, April 03, 2006

How do I know what your character really feels?

Do you remember when you were in elementary school? In one of the early grades. The day your teacher told you to identify emotions.

Happy. Sad. Angry. I know you did a good job.

You know the emotions, but can you write them?

If someone just landed her dream job, what will she do? How will she look? What will she say?

If someone buried his best friend, how will he react? Can you describe his gestures, his facial expressions? Will he say anything, or will he mourn quietly?

This is where writing gets down to the nitty-gritty. Feeling the emotions and making your readers feel them too.

It's not easy. First I describe the scene. More or less barren. I go back later and add the emotion. Then I go through again and make it stronger. A writer is always a rewriter.

Life is full of emotions. You can identify them. Can you describe them?

No comments: