Monday, May 15, 2006

Finding a balance in your characters

Most of my main characters are Muslims. But I have some very solid characters who are also non-Muslims. This is natural if you are a Muslim in America. Non-Muslim family members, neighbors and coworkers are part of everyday life.

If you are writing about Muslims, do you make them all good? Absolutely not. I have been a Muslim for about 26 years, and I have met both good and bad people who call themselves Muslims. Also, no person is always good. Even the best Muslim I've known has some flaws and weaknesses. The challenge isn't to be perfect, but to be careful and sincere when you do make a mistake.

If you are writing about non-Muslims, do you make them all bad? That's even more ridiculous. In the Qur'an, Allah spoke of those among the People of the Book who worship Him, give regularly in charity, and pray. They are assured a reward. Who they are, and how many, is for Allah to know, not me. But I know I have met many people who do not call themselves Muslims, but they live their lives in submission to the Creator. Isn't that what Islam is all about?

In every group of people--every religion, every race, every nation--there are good and bad. And most people are neither good nor bad, but a combination of the two. Sometimes good, sometimes not, and always struggling.

Writers must be real. This applies to Muslim writers also. Reflect the world we live in.

Paradise is very nice. But none of us has seen it. Each of us hopes to go there one day. Until then, we have to make the best of things.

1 comment:

Carimah said...

As'salaamu'alaykum

I just found your blog :-)
That is what I liked about Joshua - he was weak.
In non-fiction about the life of the Prophet (SAW) or his companions, they seem unreal and their perfection seems unachievable.
It was good to have this character, a Muslim, striving the way we all do, having his moments of weakness.

May you always be inspired to write !