Monday, May 22, 2006

What's the point of it all?

A reader recently accused me of being too vague in my writing. I needed a conflict he could feel, not a weak character who muddles through life. His comments bother me because I think he's right.

I've said it before. A story needs conflict. An interesting character and fascinating events are good. Spiffy one-liners are fun to write. But without conflict, all that pretty window dressing is like a sports car without an engine.

So I've broken my own rules. Unwittingly, caught up in the story I wove. Broken nonetheless.

Fortunately, writers are not arrested for breaking the laws of literary expression. Not yet anyway. The prisons would be stacked to the ceilings.

That's what we all have to remember. What's the point? What's the conflict? What will keep the reader reading?

And try not to break the laws.

No comments: