Thursday, May 11, 2006

Mahmoud and Ismail

I have sons. Something interesting I've noticed about my sons is that they are very generous. They will happily bring a friend home and offer someone something to eat. They feel a special kinship with other guys their ages. And they have a tolerance for their friends.

I've noticed this isn't just my boys. Men in general seem to be more open-minded and more accepting. Women are often judgmental of one another. But men are more likely to accept one another on face value.

This is what I had in mind when I wrote the characters of Mahmoud and Ismail. Both are from Pakistan. Mahmoud is more quiet and serious. Ismail is a little younger and much less reverent. Both play video games and basketball, and eat pizza. They're guys, after all.

Mahmoud meets Joshua through work. They become good friends, and Mahmoud introduces Joshua to Ismail, his friend and roommate. Although Joshua is not a Muslim, he is accepted. He's a guy.

When Joshua leaves his wife, Mahmoud and Ismail are the only ones who will take him in. Even though he still has many habits. They are patient with him and accepting. Because of their friendship, Joshua becomes interested in Islam. Six months after moving in with Mahmoud and Ismail, Joshua converts.

This is how da'wah is made. Not through stern lectures and reprimand. Through kindness.

No comments: