Monday, September 11, 2006

Alhamdulillah!

I'm so happy and I know all praise is due to God for the easy times in my life. So, alhamdulillah.

My upcoming book, Turbulence, has been a very passionate project for me. I started writing this story in 2004, and from the beginning I had a clear idea of where I wanted to go with it. In some ways it's a story close to my heart.

All was going well until one morning when I turned on the computer and discovered that the first 80 pages of my first draft had disappeared. I called on two computer experts for help, and neither was able to recover the lost pages. They were gone forever.

Fortunately I knew the plot so well that reconstruction wasn't as difficult as I'd thought it would be. Of course, I was much more careful after that.

I toiled with my characters each day, developing them along the way. About halfway through I discovered something very important about my main character. When I write novels, I don't feel like I'm inventing stories. Rather, I'm exploring and discovering. The signs were there all along. I don't know why I didn't see it sooner. I think I was in denial.

I kept reading through my manuscript, fine tuning passages and keeping the story fresh. Finally I turned the story over to the editor.

She just informed me that, except for a few small changes, I am good to go. That is such great news. Sometimes books need major revisions. Rebounding did. It's wonderful to hear that Turbulence is right where it should be.

And it should be available to my readers at the beginning of next year, insha Allah. I hope you enjoy it.

Now I'm working on the next book in the series. I'm taking a different approach with Ripples. I'm still in the early stages, and I think it's working. By next summer I hope Ripples will be ready to join Echoes, Rebounding, and Turbulence.

And I can't wait to get started on Silence--the final book in the Echoes Series. I have many ideas. Hopefully in a few months I'll start writing and see if they work.

The moral of the story is--keep writing. And rewriting. And rewriting. And I think you'll get there. I hope I am.

2 comments:

NiqaabiQueen said...

Suban-Allah, sweety. I am happy to hear that you've finished "Turbulence" even after losing some of it to the computer. It's probably more improved now for the second time around (smile). Keep up the good work, I look forward to accessing the book and the others as well, insha-Allah.
As-salaamu Alaykum

Carimah said...

As'salaamu'alaykum


I call myself a mini-writer. I wrote a children's book with rhymes in.
This book was by inspiration, now I have been asked to write another and I find it hard. I keep writing it and rewriting it. It gives me comfort that you too had rewrites ;-)