Thursday, September 21, 2006

Pulling it all together

On Sunday night, the last time I used my laptop, I had a sudden breakthrough on my upcoming book, Ripples. I was typing along, when I realized I had my theme.

When I first write my books, they are littler more than conglomerations of scenes. There is a story line, but it's weak. As I continue to write and revise, my story becomes stronger. But sometimes I can go through many drafts before I find the one element which will pull everything else together and create a novel from all those separate stories.

In Ripples, the fourth book in the Echoes Series, the main character is Isaiah--Chris's oldest son. In Echoes, Isaiah was a baby. He was briefly mentioned in Rebounding. In Turbulence, which will come out early next year, insha Allah, Isaiah is a young man. When I came to Ripples, I knew basicaly who Isaiah was, but I had a hard time drawing the lines of his personality. He's a complex character, and I've had to struggle to highlight all the different aspects of his personality.

Finally, on Sunday, I discovered the common thread which would unite the story and give it consistency. This thread also helps to define Isaiah and his conflict.

I won't give it away, of course. I just wanted to share that. No story is complete without the ties that bind.

No comments: