Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I passed the 20,000 mark

Which isn't quite enough, really, considering that the month is half over now. But I have been making good time since my slow start. The prize is still in view.

My biggest problem is that I'm not certain where the story is going. As I've said before, I'm one of those writers who jumps in with both feet, without an outline or much of a plan. I do know where I ultimately want the story to end. But it continues to surprise me.

When the month is over, I need to get back to Isaiah. That boy still needs a lot of work.

It has helped me, I think, to take this short break from the Echoes Series. I have an entirely new character, Nina Weston, with her own challenges and attitudes. When November is over I'll put Nina aside, but she exists in my writing world now. I plan to come back to her at some point and fully develop her story.

What is most differento, to me, about the Nano writing exercise is that the word count is everything. Normally I pay little attention to how many words I have. Not until after the story is finished anyway and I realize I need to cut out all the excess verbiage.

This is quite an experience. I think every writer should do it at least once. Why? Because it's there.

No comments: