Monday, November 27, 2006

The Thrill of Victory

It happened last Wednesday, but I'm still elated. I am a NaNoWriMo winner. Today I downloaded my certificate. And my profile has a special little logo on it now.

Writing takes perseverance. I've spoken with many people who have started something but never finished. Of course, many have good excuses. Small children. Full-time jobs. Finishing college.

I deferred my dream for many years. Finishing college. Working full-time. Raising my children. After 9/11 I decided life was too short. The following spring I quit teaching and started writing.

I know there are many writers out there who have not finished a manuscript. I hope they are able to do so. Reaching the finish line is so sweet. Bittersweet, actually, because the book is finished. The book you have lived with for so long. But sweet nonetheless.

And for NaNo writers it's only the beginning. Now it's time to start revising.

No comments: