Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Another World

I was writing an intensely emotional scene tonight when my 17-year old tried to get my attention. I don't know how many times he called me. When I did finally respond he said "Never mind." But I wouldn't let him get away that easily. My concentration was broken.

Reading takes us into another world. So does writing. I imagine my characters before me. I "hear" their voices. I picture the world they see through their eyes.

Sometimes, when I'm in the middle of writing a novel, I wonder why the rest of the world is oblivious to a world in which I am totally engrossed. The anger. The grief. The joy. They're all so real to me. Why can't anyone else see them?

Which is one reason why it is such a wonderful thing to hold my printed book in my hands. Finally, others will see and feel what I have seen and felt all along.

No comments: