Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Is American literacy decreasing?

I sure hope not. But it does seem that Americans are reading less. The bookstore owner who burned books in Kansas City claimed no one wanted the volumes. I've taught high school students who have difficulty finishing a simple novel. Other people are amazed when they see my boys read.

It's not only a loss of education. The emphasis these days is on math and science. When I've told parents that their students are good writers, I've received blank stares or even disapproving expressions. Language is not where the money is--unless, maybe, the child becomes a high-powered attorney. Otherwise, it's medicine and engineering all the way.

As writers, we need to be very concerned about literacy. Are we losing readers to video games? Will the younger generation value books? Are we about to become irrelevant?

Books were burned. That's not a problem. It's a symptom. The nation needs to take this very seriously.

No comments: