Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Progress? Hardly

I'm working on my short story challenge, but it's not going well. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I have a few different plots in mind. One is a killer, and it's already half written, but the flow is all wrong. Another has promise, but I'm afraid it will become too cliche. A third is a little off-beat, but not strange enough to make it interesting.

Writing novels is easy for me. I decide on a character, and a basic situation, and I write. Everything comes together--not necessarily in the first draft, but eventually. The characters become part of my family. I can sit down and write without much thought to where I'm going. It's instinctual.

This isn't happening with the story. I struggle, and nothing sounds right. Nothing feels right.

Can anyone let me in on the secret?

No comments: