Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Gotta Sleep

I've read that some inventors and other "famous smart people" slept very little. I won't quote the names here for fear of being wrong, but some, it is said, had only 2 or 3 hours of sleep every night.

Ah, I wish that it were so for me. Alas, I do need my sleep. This is troublesome, because my creativity flows most freely in the middle of the night.

When I can get away with it, I go to bed sometime between midnight and 1 a.m. I would stay up longer but I can't get by with a nocturnal lifestyle. I have family and obligations. So I reluctantly shut down my laptop and find little tasks to complete before eventually climbing into bed. I fall asleep very soon after my head meets the pillow, though I try to read--until the words begin dancing around. I sleep soundly. In the morning I'm amazed at all the sounds I didn't hear.

But I can't stay up all night. I can't live with only 2 or 3 hours sleep. To sleep. . .perchance to dream. Hey, maybe I'll get another idea for a story!

No comments: