Monday, October 01, 2007

How Long Does it Take to Write a Novel?

This question may be as enigmatic as the old, "How many licks to the center of a Tootsie roll pop?"

Many will say years, or at least months. Of course, we need to define what we mean by "write a novel."

I wrote the first draft for Rebounding in only two weeks. But it took me another year to complete all the necessary revisions. My typical time for writing a novel is a month, give or take a week. But again, the revisions take much longer.

When I write the first draft of a novel, I concentrate on it completely. My family muddles by without me. I have no life away from the keyboard. I dream of my characters. Plot twists come to me at the oddest times. I am totally immersed.

It's a wonderful experience, in a way, but it is so intense that I can't keep it up for much more than a month. And there are times when I deliberately will not start a novel because I know I have something coming up which needs my attention. For instance, in two weeks my mother, sisters, and two of my nieces will come to visit. I couldn't possibly start a novel now. If I did, I would have to completely ignore my family when they're here.

So how long does it take? That's something each of us has to answer.

P.S.--Speaking of writing novels. The sign-up for the privilege of completing a novel in the month of November begins today. 50,000 words. Can you do it? If so, go to www.nanowrimo.org.

No comments: