Monday, October 15, 2007

The Statement

When I was in school, I learned how to write a research report around a thesis statement. I knew that once I wrote that first paragraph and that crucial sentence I was well on my way to finishing my report.

Writing fiction does not include a thesis statement. Not exactly. But a good story can be written around a statement. Maybe a quote.

I've written quite a bit in this blog about my book, Silence. I have the plot, the characters, the twists. I've revised the manuscript twice so far. But something was missing.

Last night while I was browsing news articles I found a quote. This particular quote is exactly what I needed. This is the statement I can use to keep my story grounded and focused.

The Statement. That's the missing piece. Now I expect this story to really come together.

No comments: