Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Writing in Layers

I've mentioned that I'm working on third draft of a novel. Yet that's not completely accurate. In some places, I'm still working on the first draft.

I write in layers. First I get the story down on paper. Usually that's not much more than the bare bones of the book. I simply need to write down all the twists and turns while they're fresh in my mind. That first draft is the most intense.

Next I read through what I've written and begin to make changes. While looking through the manuscript again, I make some changes but leave some things alone, even if I know they'll need to be changed later. I'm not ready yet and I don't want to rush it.

Now, in my third draft, I'm perfecting some sentences and deleting others. I'm also finding places where content needs to be rearranged and/or the story line needs more flesh.

So I'm writing the first draft of a significant dialogue. Sometimes I cringe. I know I will change many of these sentences later. But first they need to be written. I have to put the thought of revision in the back of my mind as I forge ahead.

This dialogue will go through a few more drafts. Meanwhile, the next time I read through the manuscript I will probably find another essential change I haven't noticed before.

To me, a well-written book is one in which all of the layers come together seamlessly, not betraying the work that went into making them flow.

No comments: