Monday, November 19, 2007

28,000 Words and Counting

I'm putting on a little steam in the NaNo challenge, though I don't think it's possible for me to catch up with my son, who has something like 35,000 words. At least I'm not out of the game.

I'm not sure this is the best way to write a novel. The problem is that I concentrate too much on the word count. My story is shaping up, however, and I think it has potential. It's better than the one I wrote last November. I like my main character better--even though she has some major flaws. Who doesn't?

One of the best things about the NaNo exercise is that it's given me time to rethink my efforts on Silence. Ten days ago I was ready to scrap the whole novel and start over again. Now I can see better what to keep and what to delete. In December, I'll be ready to finally complete that book. I've done so before, but I could never print it off because I was always changing the plot.

November is a good time to do something different and strive for the goal. And in a year or two I may be ready to introduce Laurel Bremer to the world.

No comments: