Tuesday, July 18, 2006

How important are words, really?

I have grown sons who, unfortunately, have been exposed to some "bad words" through both work and college. I have an on-going conversation with my 22-year old who contends that the words I consider to be bad simply do not have the same clout they had back in my day. If he uses those words, he doesn't do it in front of me. But he confesses hearing them regularly.

I've noticed it too. It's difficult even to find a book to read without curse words. And I am constantly telling my kids, "They can't say that on TV." There are very few limits anymore.

So how important is a word? Is it simply an aggregate of letters with a commonly-accepted definition? Or does it have more power?

Listen to the leaders as they present their different viewpoints. Hear the words they use. Some choose their words very carefully. Some, such as The Decider, are often more careless with how they speak. But politicians in general understand the power of words. Freedom. Democracy. Mother and apple pie. Evil. With us or against us. They move the heart and stir people into action.

I believe words are very important. When I write I try to choose my words carefully, looking for just the right effect. Love, like, adore. Hug, embrace, hold. Walk, trudge, amble. It makes a difference which word you use, doesn't it?

Words carry emotions. We need to choose and use them very deliberately.

No comments: