Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Life and Art

I've broached this topic a couple times before, but I think it bears repeating. How far can or should an artist go to reflect real life?

This is a special concern for Muslims because our moral sensibilities create barriers against the world. We don't want to expose ourselves to the ugliness. But can we pretend that it does not exist?

As I mentioned, there are words I will never use--either in speech or in writing. And there are topics I will never discuss.

But I do discuss topics which may make some squeamish. Suicidal thoughts. Depression. Anger. Marital discord and divorce. Rebellious teens. Terrorist accusations. Illicit attraction to the opposite sex. Spousal and child abuse. Alcoholism. I challenge anyone to show me these do not exist within the ummah.

We have two choices. We can sweep our problems under the rug and pretend they don't exist. Or we can openly discuss the issues and try to find solutions within the teachings of Islam.

Life is not always pretty. Must our words be pretty, or must they be real?

No comments: