Monday, July 24, 2006

So what do you think?

I haven't heard from my readers yet about Islamic fiction. I'm still waiting.

What are you looking for when you pick up a book? And what comes to your mind when you hear about Islamic fiction?

In 1986 I heard, for the first time, about Islamic education. Immediately I imagined so many possibilities. Many of them have come to pass. Others I'm still waiting for. But there's time.

Do you remember when your teacher (if you grew up in the U.S.) told you to read the Diary of Anne Frank? It was very moving, wasn't it? How did it make you feel about the victims of the Holocaust? Didn't it give you a different perspective?

That's what Islamic fiction can do. Make Muslims real. Not just masked men carrying guns or veiled women who walk ten steps behind their husbands. It can make us real for non-Muslims who would like to know more about us but are afraid to ask, and must rely on the evening news for all of their information. And it can make us real for the Muslim kids who grow up in this country and hear, daily, about how terrible Muslims are.

When I decided to become a writer, full-time, I also decided that every book I wrote would reflect the lives of Muslims.

So that's what I think about Islamic fiction. But I'm still waiting to hear from you.

1 comment:

Carimah said...

As'salaamu'alaykum

I love fiction, but lately I can't identify with non-Muslim characters and just get irritated. I enjoy Islamic fiction, because of the connection. I am or know someone who matches a character or situation. It also helped me to relate to issues I don't have experience with. I know many who had father issues like Sam, and know I understand more - Jazakallah. :-)