Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Is anybody out there?

I haven't received any responses yet, which is a really frustrating aspect of blogging. I throw my words out there, but I don't really know if anyone is reading them. I did once try to install a counter, but I did something wrong because it didn't work. Technology and I are not exactly best friends.

Writing books is like that too. Weaving the stories without any assurance that the books will be read. Sitting in my livingroom, in my own world which no one else can see. Finally delivering my books out into the world and hoping they will be well-received.

The worst part, of course, is picking up a best-selling book and knowing I wrote better than that. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Writing is an act of faith, I guess. And speaking of faith. What do you have to say about Islamic fiction?

(If you don't like it, say so. I've heard worse. I can take it.)

2 comments:

Al Huda School said...

As Salaamu Alaikum. I'm here, sweetie. I haven't popped in in awhile, but I do pretty regularly. About Islamic fiction. For me, I am an avid reader and I LOVE a good story. Yes, Muslims are people, too. We go through pretty much the same challenges as non-Muslims. But we don't usually talk about it with others or around the halaqa table. It's nice to see fictional characters in real situations, and to see how they resolve everyday challenges and tests. Gives us present-day people to identify with. I recently read The Prophet of Zongo Street by Mohammad Naseehu Ali (spelling!/yikes). He had a great short story in there about a guy from New York City who "woke up" one morning only to discover that it was the "Last Day"! Hah ... it was a great story. In this modern world, we never know .... when .... I have the petition up on my blog, too. I sent personal emails to friends. But, none of them signed the petition yet ... really does make ya wonder if anyone's out there, eh? lol

Carimah said...

As'salaamu'alaykum

I am a few years late - but I am here !
I guess that is one of the great things about a blog - it's always here !

Though we don't have all the books in South Africa yet, a group of us are trying to get them here and getting Muslims not only to read, but to reflect and hopefully be inspired to write !