Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Writing a series, part 2: the benefits

Some stories can be told well in a flash fiction piece or even a poem. But other stories need more than one book.

If your story covers a period of many year, even multiple generations, it should probably be in a series. If your story deals heavily with the history of your characters, it should probably be in a series. If you can envision your characters in diverse situations and plots, then you should probably be thinking about a series.

In a series, the author can develop each character more fully. Include back story to explain the character's motivations.

A series also draws readers. Perusing the bookstore shelves, particularly in the youth section, shows that writers have realized this. If someone reads book 1 in a series, he or she may likely pick up books 2, 3 and 4.

Readers enjoy series novels because of the identification with the characters and the feeling of being caught up in the story. Of course, single novels can do this too. But a series provides a sense of both familiarity and anticipation--like the continuing stories of the loved, and often maligned, soap operas. What will Harry next? What is the VFD? Tune in to the next book in the series for the answers to your questions.

When writing a series, the author becomes deeply involved in the lives of his or her characters. They grow through time, just as our own children do. They become part of our daily thought and vocabulary.

I'm enjoying the Echoes Series. Joshua Adams is an old friend to me now. And I relish plotting new developments in the lives of the other characters.

I often think about book five now. How will I be able to give my characters a fond farewell and provide my readers with a satisfying ending?


Tomorrow: The downside of writing a series

1 comment:

Al Huda School said...

As Salaamu Alaikum Sis: Well, I read books 1 and 2 of the Echoes series. I certainly will keep buying them until you stop writing them! I'm still waiting for Innocent People to hold me over.
Ma Salaama
Safiyyah