Monday, January 29, 2007

The better word

First I must apologize because over the last two or three weeks I seem to repeat my posts. I don't realize this until the new post has gone out. I don't think I can blame my age. Fifty is the new thirty, isn't it? Maybe I can still blame the flu.

I was reading over a story I first wrote last summer. It's okay, but it's not ready for publication. What it needs, more than anything, is the better word.

Correct use of language is an exercise in precision. In a story or novel, it depends greatly on the character. While one character may say "guys," another most certainly would not. I must know my characters and sense their language, their habits. Everything.

And I must choose the best words. Should I use "come back" or should I write "return"? Again, it depends greatly on the character and the mood I want to set. Is my character a teenager? What is his or her level of education? How comfortable is he or she with language?

My premier character, Joshua, is very comfortable. That's his nature. So even after he completes his college education, he is more likely to use the casual word or phrase. Other characters though, like Evie and Brad, pride themselves on a vocabulary which exhibits a higher level of sophistication. Though it also depends on the circumstances. When Brad is relaxing with his brothers, his language is much different than when he is speaking with his boss. Isn't that true for all of us?

In a sense, I am again repeating myself. Words are everything to the writer. I have my own favorite thesaurus which I keep close at hand. It helps me keep my writing fresh and crisp. Dullness of expression will kill even the most interesting story or article.

Write carefully.

No comments: