Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The thrill of it

I'm nearly finished looking over Turbulence. It's nearly ready.

I'll probably take a break for a day or two, maybe even three. Then I'll get to work revising the manuscript for Ripples, the fourth book in the Echoes Series.

I wrote when I was a teenager, and of course I wrote in college. I actually enjoyed writing my dissertation, and even my doctoral exams. But for years after that, I wrote little. I was raising children instead.

I wrote as a teacher, but my creativity went into assignments and tests. Later I worked on curriculum and wrote three textbooks. I delivered papers. All of this filled a need in me.

But when I sat down to write Echoes, I found a thrill I had never before experienced. The words slid onto the page. It needed revisions, of course, but that book actually made me feel like a writer.

Now I can't stop. I try to ignore it sometimes and concentrate on other things. Usually I can't manage to do this for more than three days. The laptop calls me. The story lures me.

After I finish the Echoes Series, I have two more books to write. One is completed in rough draft form. It was my Nano novel. The other has only eight pages so far. But this morning I was daydreaming about where I can go with it.

My career could have taken many different turns. I could have seriously pursued a career in teaching college. Maybe I would be a dean by now. I could have stayed with teaching. But I'm dong what I love. I write. I must.

No comments: