Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Writer's Day Off

I read an article recently which suggested writers should not work feverishly to complete a book. Instead, we should write for only one hour a day. At that pace, according to author of the article, the book will be completed and ready for publication at the end of a year.

I don't follow any hard and fast rules for how much time should be spent writing. Some have day jobs or small children, and so must write whenever they can. Others are able to spend large blocks of time writing and refining.

When I wrote my first novel, Innocent People, I had to force myself to sit for two hours every day and write. The more I wrote, the more comfortable I became. Now I have days when I don't pay attention to anything but my writing.

Today was not one of those days. I watched the morning news, took a shower, dozed a little, watched my soap opera (oops--my secret's out!), ate lunch, checked my email, browsed the internet, watched the evening news and, later, a movie. I never even opened the file for my newest work. I didn't attempt to enter one of the contests which ended today (I actually have nearly 3 hours left). Except for a few short emails, and my blogs, I simply did not write.

Each of us has to find a pace which works best. I prefer to run headlong toward the finish line, and then take a day off. Or two. And even though I love to write, I don't have to do it every single day. I didn't accomplish much today, but sometimes that's enough.

No comments: