Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Cliches

I was recently told that some of my characters, at least in one section, border on the cliche. I respect the person who told me this. He has many years of experience behind him. But I respectfully disagree.

It is easy to fall into cliches. Sometimes I make a game of it. A character--someone who is older--will use a cliche. Another character will comment on this. Or a character will consistently use the same cliched phrase. We all know people who do this.

Growing up in the Midwest, I learned some great cliches. I'm not going to let them go to waste. My favorite one, which I heard several years ago, was "I wouldn't wear that to a dog fight." Descriptive, isn't it?

But of course we must be careful. And it is especially tricky when we give our characters life situations. Sometimes life seems to be one giant cliche. But we need to make our writing stand apart. Find something different. My characters, who do seem in the beginning to follow the standard American lifestyle, end up being very different.

As with everything else, using and avoiding cliches is a balancing act. All of writing is. And all of life is, isn't it?

1 comment:

Norma Kassim PhD said...

yes..i agree