Monday, January 15, 2007

Imagination

At its peak, the flu took a great toll on my body. I reached a high temperature--I'm not sure how high but I would guess around 104--and treated it only with water because most medicines bother me.

As I've rsecovered, I've noticed ways the fever affected my body. For several days my eyesight was weaker. I lost a great deal of weight. And for a while I was afraid I had lost my imagination.

In those early days of recovery, I tried to conjure up images and story lines. Nothing happened. Once I tried to imagine a room. My mind was blank. I was worried that my "imagination" brain cells had been damaged.

Fortunately, as my eyesight and weight have begun to return, my imagination is also returning. An imagination isn't necessary to live, but I have always depended on mine to take me to interesting places. And, of course, my imagination is what writes my stories.

Not everyone is creative, but I think the world could use more imagination. Approach situations from new perspectives rather than relying on the same old solutions every time. As John Lennon said, imagine a world where everyone lives together. No divisions.

I am very, very happy to have regained my imagination. Now I wish we had some in Washington, D.C.

No comments: