Thursday, February 01, 2007

Getting new ideas

I didn't write again today. For the first time in over a month I felt normal. So I pursued one of my favorite pastimes. Going grocery shopping. I could explain, but that's not the purpose of this blog.

Just because I wasn't sitting at my laptop doesn't mean I wasn't working on my writing. I observed. Sometimes, if I'm in a very good observational mood, I will watch others--discreetly, of course--and imagine the spaces in their lives. The woman at the check out counter. Does she have children? A husband? How was her childhood? What clues can I gain from her mannerisms, her communication, and even the way she dresses?

What about the woman strolling the aisles of the health food store with her husband? Why were they there? Did either one have a major health concern? Were they looking at the juices because they like juice or because it helps with health concerns?

And what about the lone clerk in the bookstore? Was he counting the hours until the end of his shift, or did he enjoy his job as much as he appeared to? What does he do when he's not at work? What does he read?

This all sounds very nosy, I know. But I wonder. Even when I watch the other cars on the road, I wonder where they're going. And why.

And when I write, I fill in the blanks. I develop composite characters from the people I've met or come across, assigning them emotions, backgrounds, and preferences.

Other times I watch people to find those who look most like my characters. But that's another topic.

No comments: