Thursday, February 22, 2007

Nearly ready!

The final proof has been approved and Turbulence is now officially ready for the printer.

The writing of this book has been turbulent. It began in a little white house in Worcester, MA. When we moved to Wisconsin, I set aside my writing long enough to pack. And unpack. Soon after we arrived, I began teaching part-time. I lived for the moments before, after, and between classes when I could return to my story.

Not only that. The book which Turbulence has become is much different than the story I started out with. I was on my third or fourth draft when I realized I was leaving out an important point. I tried to ignore it, but it wouldn't go away. As I've said, and as other writers will say, I didn't so much create the story as discover it. When I stepped back and allowed my instincts to take over, the book began to come together.

Turbulence is also special in another way. Back in 2003, I think, I had a very interesting dream. There were many components and it was rich with plots. The dream inspired me to write Echoes--the main character of my dream was Joshua. Echoes flowed into Rebounding and then Turbulence. All three books emerged, in some way, from that single dream.

Now I am making revisions on Ripples. This story is also engaging. But I struggled to begin, to identify my characters, because this is the first book which is not part of that one dream. By the time you read it, I hope it will be every bit as strong and interesting as the others.

But Turbulence is special. In a few weeks you'll be able to read it, and I think you will see what I mean.

No comments: