Monday, February 12, 2007

Reading and Writing

I don't normally read another novel while I'm working on one of my own, but I recently made an exception. I started the book weeks ago, and recently returned to it and became hooked on the characters.

The book is The Kite Runner. It's been on my reading list for quite a while--I bought it about a year ago. I'm glad I finally took the time to read it.

The main characters were well developed and the story was gripping as it linked the lives of the characters with events in Afghanistan over the last 30 years. The conflict was real and the ending was satisfying. I won't say anything more, for those of you who may not have read it yet. I do recommend this book.

Writers are also readers. I don't remember a time in my life when I didn't love books. My mother began taking me to the library when I was a toddler. In grade school, my best friend and I spent our time together by reading. My husband, and sons, complain sometimes about the number of books in our house. Especially when we have to move. I feel a certain excitement when beginning a new story, and a certain let down when I finish it.

In recent years, I've begun reading much more critically. I note what the author did well, and silently criticize him or her when I feel I could have done better. When reading a mystery, I read the first 20 or 30 pages and then skip to the ending. After I know the solution to the mystery, I continue reading to see how the writer arrived at the conclusion.

Reading is not only enjoyable, it's an integral part of what it means to be a writer. And I would advise any young writer to read as much as possible. Words are our tools, and we learn by studying the craftsmanship of others.

No comments: