Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Show and Tell

This topic is discussed often in writers' circles, and I have probably addressed it before. But it bears repeating because it is crucial to good writing.

I am in the process of revising Ripples, the fourth books. (BTW, Turbulence will be out in a matter of weeks, insha Allah.) In my early drafts, I told. The important thing was to get the story down and I didn't take time to work with the details. In my current and later revisions, I need to pay more attention.

For instance, in one passage I simply said, "Uncle Brad is irritated." Then I went on with another part of the story.

Uncle Brad is irritated. How can you tell? What did he say? What did he do? How did you react? All these are essential.

So I'm enjoying myself these days by filling in the gaps. Showing is so much more fun than telling. I love to write a good argument. (It's a great stress reliever.)

Don't just tell your readers that Mary is sad or the building is beautiful. Show them. Describe it to them. They want to see it too.

No comments: