Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Problem with Creativity

I received a note from my son's science teacher today. He has A's in every area except homework. That area needs to be worked on. But the teacher noted that he is creative. Very creative.

Which is probably why it's so hard for him to do the homework. Who wants to sit and write out answers when your mind is writing stories. A few minutes ago he finished telling me his plot for one of his books. He has two series planned. (He's ahead of me. After Echoes Series, I can't think of starting another one.) His stories are full of blood and revenge. The plots hold together. I can't wait to read them.

But he doesn't want to do his homework. He refuses to fit into the norms of society. He always has. I did have a talk with him. I showed him the website of a college in Europe which I know he would like to attend. I emphasized that he will have to do well in high school in order to attend this college. (He's in 8th grade now.) I hope that will be a strong enough incentive.

I'm sure his mind will wander, though, when he's supposed to be taking notes or writing down formulas. Just as mine always has. He'll stare at the blackboard while envisioning swords and dragons. And next fall another teacher will tell me he's not doing his homework and he has trouble focusing.

An imagination is a wonderful thing. The problem is trying to keep it reined in.

That's something I'm still trying to learn. As old as I am, it probably doesn't matter anymore.

No comments: