Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Don't give up

When I was in high school, I wrote many short stories. And one novel. None has been published. I did make a few hesitant attempts to publish one or two of my short stories. But I didn't really think it would happen. And it didn't.

It took me over 30 years to try again. When i did, I decided not to accept rejection or defeat. It's still a long, hard road somedays. Trying to get my books noticed. Searching for the marketing approach which could catapult me into the national spotlight. Wishing and dreaming. Sometimes planning.

Two days ago I was walking through the bookstore, determined not to leave until I found the perfect book to buy with my 15% off coupon (talk about marketing!). I chose many. Some I thunbed through. It took me nearly 90 minutes to decide. Partly because I wasn't satisfied with the quality of many of the books I browsed.

My mother tells me I can write well. And various other friends and relatives. But I needed that validation. I can write as well as others whose books grab the attention of major publishers and end up on the shelves of large chain bookstores.

If they can do it, I think I can too. Some write much better than I do, but all it takes is practice and determination. I think I can. . .I think I can. . .I think I can.

No best-selling author was born that way. Each had to work for recognition. And so will I.

(Although, actually, that's just a fringe benefit. I write because I must.)

No comments: