Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Like Cleaning the House Before the Maid Arrives. . .

When I wrote my first novel, I had full confidence in my own ability to edit the manuscript. I pored over the words and phrases, watching for grammatical errors and smoothing my expressions. I was quite proud of myself.

Now I feel embarrassed. My atttitude was typical of the hubris of the beginner. I can do it. I know it all. In reality, I knew much less.

My last three novels have been professionally edited. The editor meticulously checks the grammar, down to the last comma. She also peruses the plot for holes or inconsistencies, and offers valuable hints.

The strange thing is, before I send a manuscript to her I make sure it is as error-free as possible. I become obsessed. I don't want to send her a piece full of holes, even though her job is to plug up the holes--within reason, of course.

I wonder how many other writers edit their works before sending them to the editor.

No comments: