Thursday, March 29, 2007

You Can't Win 'Em All

Today I woke up to an email from someone on a writer's site I've joined. He said my books are "boring and cheap."

He's never read my books, and is going only by the brief description I posted on the site. And he's not a literary heavyweight. He's a 15-year old who lives on the other side of the world and aspires to write fantasy. I didn't comment on the work he posted because I'm not really into fantasy. To each his own genre.

So my young critic is not highly qualified to pass judgement--he just know what he likes. And that's fine. He doesn't have a fancy title, but everyone above the age of 14 who reads is qualified, in some sense, to critique my work. And not everyone will like it.

It's tempting to have dreams of changing the world with my words. That's my fantasy. But not everyone will read my books. And not everyone will love them. That's life.

We can't change the wotld--only our own small patches of the universe.

1 comment:

Safiyyah said...

Salaams Sis: Your young critic is a hoot! I know he would change his mind if he actually read your books.

Alhamdulillah that they are selling well on Amazon! This is wonderful news.

Love and Peace
Fi Aman Allah
Safiyyah