Thursday, March 15, 2007

Looking for a Perfect World

On Monday night I finished another revision of Ripples, the next book in the Echoes Series. I guess that's why I haven't written in my blog since Monday. My routine has been disrupted. The fact is, for the last two nights I've shut my laptop down before realizing that I hadn't blogged. I was tired and decided to leave it for the next day.

In both reading and writing, there's a letdown at the end. I'm about 10 pages away from completing a novel, and that will also be a bit disappointing. For days, I have become involved in the lives of the characters. Soon I will close the book and leave them behind.

I plan to begin another revision of Ripples sometime this weekend--maybe even tomorrow. I used to count the number of revisions. Now I don't. What matters is that the finished product is almost as good as it could be. It will never be perfect. (Ask my publisher how often I've annoyed her by trying to make last minute changes before the book goes to print.)

Which is probably why I haven't read Turbulence yet--not since receiving my copies. I'm afraid of finding a terrible mistake I somehow overlooked. I'll wait for the reactions of my readers before picking it up and going back into that world.

I've heard it said that most artists are perfectionists. I know I am. Though I gave up long ago in my efforts to mold the world into my vision. Raising six boys will do that to you.

The world I live in is not perfect. But I hope to make the world of my characters as close to the ideal as possible.

No comments: