Monday, March 05, 2007

Unexpected

We all know humans are mortal, but we're still shocked and surprised when someone whom we know is taken. Death happens. . .but only to strangers. Right?

Last Saturday, I learned that the webmaster for my writer's website had died unexpectedly. He was around my age, probably younger. Too young to die. Right?

I knew Morey only online. There were weeks when I never thought of him. But his absence is felt by all the writers who depended on him. Now he's often in my thoughts.

Life may be short. . .or shorter. Only Allah knows how long each of us has. And when someone you know dies, even if the relationship is only in cyberspace, you are forced to confront your own mortality.

Many thoughts ran through my mind when I heard. What about Morey's novel, the one he hoped to make into a movie? What about his family and friends? Did I tell him enough about Islam? Why didn't I send the updates for Turbulence earlier so he could have posted them? What should I do now?

We laugh nervously at funerals. We think about the impact on our own lives. And we wonder about death. Often, we're too uncomfortable to speak of it. But we know it's there.

Nobody lives forever. So we'd better do as much as we can while we're able. Right?

No comments: