Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Family Business

I attended my 17-year old's parent-teacher conference today. Several of the teachers remarked on what a gifted writer he is.

He has a distinctive style, often choosing ornate words when something simpler would suffice. But his writing doesn't sound pretentious. It flows. Four of his teachers said they're anxious to see what he's doing in ten years, and they expect him to be well-known.

My 14-year old is also a writer. His genre is horror, and he never passes up an opportunity to compose stories about violent encounters with the natural and the supernatural.

So we have at least three writers in the family, all very different. And my granddaughter is already showing signs through her love of books.

Not all of my children are writers. One strongly dislikes having to write, though he comes out with some very literary expressions sometimes. Another writes short, non-descriptive sentences and paragraphs. Fluid, but not very enthusiastic.

I'm proud of all six of my sons. And it is nice to know that two of them, at least, are interested in following in my footsteps.

No comments: