Thursday, March 16, 2006

Focusing on my writing, or how to keep my train of thought even in a house of lively boys

I'm a mother. That alone was reason enough for me not to write for many years. Children demand so much--no matter what the age. When they're young, it's feeding, diapers and keeping them out of trouble. When they're older, it's grade, money and keeping them out of trouble.

I have found that music is a great way to help me concentrate. When I put in the right CD, the music somehow helps me tune out all the chaos around me and focus on what I want to write. It happens time and time again. For instance, right now the TV is blaring but I'm able to keep writing this.

Which CD to use is a matter of choice. It also depends on what I'm writing. I'm very partial to Native Deen, and I like to listen to them while I write. I haven't yet found any other Islamic CD that helps me--most of them are too soft, and I need something with an edge.

I do listen to a lot of Yusuf Islam, and Cat Stevens. The Cat Stevens songs are particulary helpful for the moods I hope to create.

I also listen to The Oldies. More specifically, I have chosen songs from the 60s and 70s which help me create the mood I want in my writing. Then I went a step further. I burned a CD for each character.

In my current project, I switch frequently among three different characters. Each time I switch, I simply put in a different CD. Each CD has about 15 songs which pertain to that character. Usually I just let the CD play in a loop. Sometimes I will target a certain song for a particular scene.

Anyone can find an excuse for not writing. Children, job, fatigue, distractions.

But if you are really a writer, you will not be satisfied unless you are writing.

No comments: