Friday, March 17, 2006

Writing Fiction Means Knowing Your Facts

Without getting too far ahead of my readers, I can reveal that I have some major plot twists coming up in the Echoes Series. Okay, I'll say it. One of my characters will become disabled.

When I decided on this story line, I knew I would have my work cut out for me. But I couldn't resist it. For the last year I have been conducting research for this part of my story.

People--non-writers--act surprised when I tell them I'm researching. You're writing fiction, not non-fiction. Why would you care about research?

Writers know the answer to that. Fiction can demand a great deal of research. I know of novelists who have spent years getting all their facts straight.

For my disabled character, I began by reading. First on-line, then at the library. I've read two or three memoirs written by people who have this particular disability. That gave me some insight, but I still felt I wasn't ready.

A few days ago, I had a serendipitous discovery. An online-newsletter for writers included an interview with Empish Thomas, who is both a writer and an outspoken advocate for the disabled. She also has a disability, and can speak from first-hand experience. I promptly emailed her.

I am grateful to Ms. Thomas for the long conversation and wealth of information she provided to me over the phone tonight. She is a wonderful person--determined, pleasant to talk with and very committed to her mission. Did I mention knowledgeable? I am sure we will be having more conversations, and I'm looking forward to it.

A novelist cannot be simply a weaver of fanciful stories. He or she must also be knowledgeable enough to make the characters live realistically in the world he or she has created. Even if that world is in a galaxy far, far away.

No comments: