Thursday, March 09, 2006

Making of a Series

I started the Echoes Series very simply.

I wanted to write a book but I didn't have a topic. I remembered the adage, Write what you know. So I sat down and brainstormed, writing down everything I know.

It took one-and-a-half pages. I didn't know I knew that much!

One of the things I know, almost more than anything else, is being a mother to sons. I've been doing it for over twenty-three years, and I still have a houseful of boys. They are very interesting. Noise and body noises. Crude jokes and joking around with their brothers. Physical contact practically every waking moment.

I also observe the emotional lives of boys. After the age of seven or eight they try to abide by the unwritten rule--boys don't cry. They love one another, but will hug only under coercion. They have a very different relationship with their father than they have with me. They need both of us.

So I sat down to write a story about a mother and a son. Evie Adams and her third-born, Joshua.

And that's how the Echoes Series began.

No comments: