Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The strong silent type

One of my favorite characters in the entire Echoes Series is Umar. First of all, I like the name. (My second son is named Umar.) It denotes strength and resolution.

Umar presents himself as being strong and very determined. He's a man of few words, and his words are spoken carefully. He has high principles, which he strives to follow, and high expectations of those he loves.

There is another side to Umar too. A softer side. A vulnerable side. He rarely shows it, and only to the few whom he would trust with his life.

Umar is a man of strong faith who still needs reassurances. The face he presents is not who he is. Not because he's dishonest. Simply because he cannot bring himself to admit his own weaknesses.

I like all of my character, for different reasons. (Though some of them, if they were real, would drive me crazy.) But I truly have enjoyed developing the character of Umar. Tony Evans. A man who found the truth in the Qur'an at the age of twenty, and has never looked back.

No comments: