Friday, March 10, 2006

What a Character

I used to believe that the most important part of the story was the plot. If I could just come up with the most amazing, fantastic plot that no one had ever thought of before, I would write the Great American novel.

But then I read an article about character development. And I considered all the great works of literature, great plays, great movies. The best are the ones that develop great characters.

With this in mind, I created Joshua Adams. I gave him a name, an age, a family, a past. Then I added personal preferences and quirks. I got to know Joshua's favorite color, favorite food, favorite pastime and most over-used expression.

All the other characters developed around Joshua. He was the star, and they were there to for him. Later on, I've given many of these characters their own scenes. One has his own book--look for Number Three, tentatively titled Odyssey.

Of course, every story must have a plot. A beginning, a build-up, a climax and a satisfying ending. But I am convinced that the best story must also have at least one memorable character.

No comments: