Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Creativity vs. the Business of Writing

My B.A. is in Philosophy and Religion. That in itself should explain my attitude toward the practical side of life.

I avoid practicality whenever possible. I hate working with details--especially when numbers are involved. I can complete income tax returns and pay bills, but these tasks are unpleasant to me and often stressful.

I've tried to get excited about business. A few years ago, I signed up to sell stoneware to friends kind enough to host a party. I enjoyed some aspects of that exercise, but it proved to me that I am not a business person.

Unfortunately, writing is also a business. Books must be marketed. Marketing budgets must be considered. And on it goes.

If I were clever, I would plunge into writing articles, or maybe short stories, and get my name out there. I do have a story I keep meaning to work on. An article, too. But I'd rather be writing novels.

P.S.--These days I'm not writing much of anything. We're moving in June. I can't wait for July!

No comments: