Thursday, April 12, 2007

Life experiences

A day or two ago I was talking with someone about where I get the ideas I used in my stories. I mentioned that I observe people and store away information. She asked if I had plans to introduce any real estate agents--her profession--into any of my books. I laughed, but made no promises. She actually reminded me to pay more attention to details. And, in a few years, a character like her may show up.

Isn't that where we all get our ideas? A gesture, a word, maybe a statement which ignites the imagination. I've never consciously written a character in emulation of someone I know. My characters are composites of people I've met, with a little bit of me thrown into each one.

Observation is a necessary tool for the writer. Words, images, emotions all become stories and characters that, we hope, will inspire.

No comments: