Thursday, April 05, 2007

He Said, She Said

I recently read an article about writing dialogue. For some writers, this can be a daunting task.

Dialogue is actually one of my favorite parts of writing. (Description is my weakness.) I love to create a scene, especially a conflict, composed mostly of what my characters say--and what they think but don't say.

Dialogue can develop a character and advance a story. In real life, people don't just usually stand around and talk. They drive, cook, work, check emails, eat while talking. They also use gestures and expressions. They smile, beam, frown, glower, and nod. Some people nod while others may raise their eyebrows. The words are part of the conversation, while an undertone conveys the message.

"I like to run," said Dick.

That's how I first learned dialogue. Let's try that again.

Dick stretched, shaking the tension from his legs. A bead of sweat trickled down his face. He grabbed a towel. "I like to run every morning. You should try it."

I agree with Dick. Try it.

2 comments:

ummahzy said...

Could you please share the article with us?

Jamilah Kolocotronis said...

That's a good idea. I'll have to look it up.

If I forget, feel free to email and remind me.