Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Learned or Innate?

I received my Writers Digest Book Club monthly mailing today. Thirty-one pages of books and software promising to make me a better writer.

The books offered vary widely in range. Some provide step-by-step instructions for writing a novel. Others offer inspiration. Some contain historical or factual details which may be useful. Others address common concerns such as grammar and use of idioms.

I've bought a few books over the last year or so. My favorite is Between the Lines, which includes an in-depth discussion of the subtleties of writing a good novel. I have a few research books, and I've bought some books for two of my sons who are aspiring writers.

I've heard some writers say they never use those books, preferring to write strictly by instinct. I know other writers swear by books, workshops, seminars--anything to help.

So what makes a good writer? Can writing be learned, or is it an innate talent? Could a gifted writer rise above a mediocre education to produce great literature? Could someone with a scientific mind be taught how to write well? What do you think?

No comments: