Monday, April 23, 2007

A Short Bout of Writer's Block

This morning I scanned my to-do list. Three items on the list required writing. (Not counting emails.) I chose something else. I was drowsy and had no motivation to write.

Three hours later, I still didn't feel like writing. That's unusual for me, but it happens. Even though one of the items on my list needed to be finished ASAP, I couldn't imagine coming up with the words. My brain wasn't in the mood.

I opened my email. A friend, Pamela Taylor, had written an article responding to this question--"Is Islam a Violent Religion?" She did an excellent job of tackling this biased statement.

After reading her article, I scanned the responses. Some very supportive, while others went on the attack. When I reached the end, I decided to write some comments of my own.

I don't know how long it took me. Sometimes when I write, time seems to stop. I focused on the words and ideas I wished to convey and the world fell away.

I finished my response and posted it. It was then that I realized my writer's block had vanished.

Like they say, Use it or lose it.

No comments: